This forum is now read only. Please read the new forum post below and then visit http://csgrupetto.microco.sm for the new forum or visit the club website at www.csgrupetto.co.uk
Hello! This is the forum for members of CS Grupetto. The main content of the forum is only available to CS Grupetto members. Ride info is public and if you'd like to join us on a ride just drop us an email through our contact page at www.grupetto.co.uk
SPORTIVE // DRAGON RIDE // 8 JUNE 2014
  • Entries have just gone on sale for the Dragon Ride next year, including a new, stupidly long 300km route. 

Like a fool, I have just entered for this long one, even though I haven't been able to ride a bike properly since the Marmotte. 

Any Grumps doing it?

• I will be doing this. No Glastonbury next year so am planning a Marmotte
  •  186 miles!! When I rode it in 2012 it was only 130 miles..
  • 300k?! In Wales? 

No. No way.
  • tom said:

186 miles!! When I rode it in 2012 it was only 130 miles..

The regular 130 mile route is still an option. And there are other, shorter options too
  • I will be doing the regular one.
  • Is it worth £60?  Or could we just go up the week after and do it as a group for free?
  • DING DING DING!!!
    Why are we doing sportives?
  • ^ Hark at her; too pro for sportives
  • I enjoyed Dragon Ride. Nice route, some closed roads, good stops which makes it easy to get food and water.

I also enjoy riding with a lot of other cyclists at the same time if they're not all massive dicks. There's a nice atmosphere etc.

I appreciate they're not for everyone but there's worse things.
  • Hardly Dan. I like riding bikes with people (honest). I don't like paying money. If you're getting closed roads for your money, then that's certainly a reason to consider it. 
    I dunno. I've definitely got the painters in.
  • edgy guy
  • I enjoyed Dragon Ride. Nice route, some closed roads, good stops which makes it easy to get food and water.

I also enjoy riding with a lot of other cyclists at the same time if they're not all massive dicks. There's a nice atmosphere etc.

I appreciate they're not for everyone but there's worse things.

^ this
  • Some closed roads is good.  

Where did you stay?  Obvs thousands of competitors arriving will drive up accommodation costs as well.
  • Afan lodge. booked it pretty early, think it was £80 a night for a twin room.
  • Might enter the cycletta 
  • Anyone doing this in 2015? Two mates and I are gonna do the 302km route...
  • I nominate Jason. Anyone second that?
  • > 302km route?

Might have to steal their GPS track for that one..
  • Just a regular training ride for you.
  • will said:

I nominate Jason. Anyone second that?

The time I did it (the normal 210km distance), was one of the best (and hardest) days on a bike I have ever had. The weather was perfect, and Dommy and his "cousin" had me in stitches the whole day.

The previous attempt was cut short (half distance) due to the weather ahead looking like a scene from the tempest, and a knee injury.

The vagaries of the weather mean that committing to a single day in the year could result in a sub par experience.

The roads are quiet enough that you could get a GPS track of the route, find a place with good food and accommodation on the route, keep an eye out for a couple of nice days and make a weekend of it.
  • Yes, it's the kind of distance that would make a nice weekend ride :)

Although if you are going to do that you could go to Ireland (which I nearly did late summer)

If you're looking for other events then the Fred Whitton is excellent. Lovely route, beautiful scenery, epic climbs, brilliant organisation, etc. And it's all within a manageable 112 miles. Entries open on 5th January.
  • I think I'm going to do it with Henry. Something to motivate (read scare) me.
  • NickH said:

I think I'm going to do it with Henry. Something to motivate (read scare) me.

Dude, do you even bike?
  • I didn't bike much this time last year. Worked out ok by June.
  • tom said:

Just a regular training ride for you.

I can push it out a bit if I ride to Wales first. :)
  • Don't forget to take gloves. Lol.

• I've gone and done it. Signed up for the 300km ride.
  • Excellent. You could do this for training.

• Good to see sportives breaking away from that 100mi plateau. I'll be in the Azores on Apr 25th though otherwise I'd seriously consider the Majorca ride.
  • I'm going to try and qualify for PBP this year so that ride was already on my radar. Mark Brooking from Willesden is organising another 600 too but people on lfgss are suggesting riding the Bryan Chapman Memorial as the scenery is nicer and it's harder. Not sure what I'm going to do yet but I need to enter the BCM sooner rather than later to have a chance of getting in.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!