This forum is now read only. Please read the new forum post below and then visit http://csgrupetto.microco.sm for the new forum or visit the club website at www.csgrupetto.co.uk
Hello! This is the forum for members of CS Grupetto. The main content of the forum is only available to CS Grupetto members. Ride info is public and if you'd like to join us on a ride just drop us an email through our contact page at www.grupetto.co.uk
CLUB RUN // SUNDAY 12 OCT // The Hill climbs
  • I will be riding out to watch the Catford and Bec Hill climbs this Sunday. We don't have anyone riding but its always a good day out (cake and tea is particularly good at Bec) and hopefully it won't pour with rain like last year.

Catford starts at 9.30am, Bec at 12.30pm. I was thinking we could ride out from Crystal Palace at about 8.15am. If you don't want to watch both, you can either carry on back into town when we get to the top of White Lane, or meet us there for the second one.

• I will be in Derbyshire. I get back on Sunday. At about 1ish. There's no real chance I'll make it.
    :(

I can recommend the Catford bacon sandwich and tea. 

I think the Bec has a decent vibe about it, and DAVID MILLAR (i took drugs, but I'm very sorry now, and speak in almost exactly the same way as that other scotch Andy Murray).

• Hope to get over to the Bec, but as usual will have to play it by ear on the day.

If I can make it I won't be over until at least 1:30pm tho.
  • Will trundle over to the bec as have a friend racing.
  • In, for Catford if not both.
  • I might ride my new Cannondale if the weather is nice...
  • Out. I'm riding the Windsor Hill HC.
  • Smash it!!
  • I might ride my new Cannondale if the weather is nice...

You and Jay got matching bikes? That's so sweet.
  • I might ride my new chesini if the weather is nice (and I get it built on time)
  • Sounds like a lovely day out, count me in. Unless  Especially if it rains or is cold.

• That's not the Grupetto way.

• I'm hoping to get out.
  • Out.  Will be doing an actual ride somewhere if there's any interest?
  • I'm in for a proper ride. Kent or Surrey?
  • I'd prefer not to do 100 miles, but I had a look at this a while back. No idea what the roads are like. Maybe we should not pollute this thread further...
  • Just seen Germaine Burton rock into town (at Euston in Team GB kit with his Pinarello).

Guess he's looking forward to trying to scalp DM at the Bec.
  • So just you Dan, plus maybe Gary (if he can get a cheap deal for a taxi) and maybe myself.

Millar is off at 4:10pm BTW, last rider at 4:30pm.
  • I am likely to come along but not 100% sure yet
  • Sam said:

So just you Dan, plus maybe Gary (if he can get a cheap deal for a taxi) and maybe myself.

Millar is off at 4:10pm BTW, last rider at 4:30pm.

I think John and Ved said they might come. Thinking about it - I might do a later start, catch the end of Catford and then roll over to Bec. Pretty long day otherwise. 

A list would help. 

1. Dan 
  • It will, however, all be over in what should seem like no time, for a rider with 19 three-week Tours under his belt. The Bec Cycling Club climb up Titsey Hill, near Limpsfield in Surrey, is all of 700 yards long and should take Millar around two minutes. “I’m going to get my head kicked in,” he said. “I’ve never done a hill climb before, I’m riding with a broken hand and I can hardly get out of the saddle.”

• always good to get some excuses in early #princess
  • Given the 2-hour time difference between the end of Catford and the start of Bec I'm tempted to ignore the Catford event and go for a ride instead aiming to get to the Bec for some time around 2pm (which I think is when it starts).
  • The Bec's a better event. 
    Although... paging @Sam

There's a pub somewhere right?
  • Bec is within M25 and allows time in bed #thegrupettoway

• You've got a couple in Tatsfield, but the one I mentioned to you two years ago (yes, it really was that long ago) is the Botley Hill Farmhouse, which if you go to the Clarks Lane/Titsey Hill roundabout and turn right towards Croydon, you'll find the pub 250 yards on the left.
  • 2 years ago. Blimey. When I was at my "peak". 

Alex and I were talking about last year's "effort" yesterday. 
  • Botley Hill Farmhouse - according to the TNIK spreadsheet, you have ridden past it at least 10 times this year
  • If anyone wants to do a ride before the hill climb how about a loop like this (apologies for using Garmin Connect) which would probably take a little over 2½ hours to get to the top of Whites Lane? There are of course plenty of ways to make that shorter... So could meet at Cadence at 11 or so.
  • I'll probably meet at cadence but then spend 2-1/2 hours going straight there :-)
  • I'm really unfit at the moment so on the fence. Later start would be good.
  • will said:

If anyone wants to do a ride before the hill climb how about a loop like this (apologies for using Garmin Connect) which would probably take a little over 2½ hours to get to the top of Whites Lane? There are of course plenty of ways to make that shorter... So could meet at Cadence at 11 or so.

Error message
  • Link no worky Will
  • Will. You had one job.
  • Oh yeah. I've closed down my IT systems for the day. I'll fix it tomorrow.

Unless this works...

http://connect.garmin.com/course/8171050
  • negatory dude
  • Fucking Internet is broken then
  • Both links work for me. The weather however looks pretty grim for tomorrow afternoon. Only saving grace is that it might arrive around 5 ish.
  • I think Garmin Connect was a bit broken last night (as often seems to be the pattern).

Here's a RWGPS version as well.

Yeah, we should keep an eye on the weather.
  • It's only a bit of rain. We should book in the grupetto hill climb. End of the month? I'd start a thread but i'm on my phone...
  • Not a club run but anyone that wants can meet me and Jaygee at RP, ready to go at 10am for a jaunt in to Surrey
  • Anyone at cadence late morning then heading straight out to the bec?
  • I'm not riding tomorrow. Need lie in.
  • I'm up for doing something hill climb related , I just don't know what or when... Hope this helps.
  • I'm drunk
  • Me too Dan *high fives*
  • I'm still planning on passing through Cadence around 11 or so and then doing my loop around the hills to Bec aiming to get there around 2pm or so. If anyone makes it out then I'll see you there. It's going to be epic.
  • I'll be there 1:30-2ish (hopefully, only just woken up)
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!