This forum is now read only. Please read the new forum post below and then visit http://csgrupetto.microco.sm for the new forum or visit the club website at www.csgrupetto.co.uk
Hello! This is the forum for members of CS Grupetto. The main content of the forum is only available to CS Grupetto members. Ride info is public and if you'd like to join us on a ride just drop us an email through our contact page at www.grupetto.co.uk
Isle of Wight Day Trip // 20th MAY 2016
  • May do same.
  • 20th is booked. This should be fun. #trainbeers
  • This site shows the various options for getting bikes there.
  • From memory, don't you need a super early train to do it in a day?
  • Super early drive...
  • It's 2 hours minimum from London when you let the train take the strain. I think I will drive to either Portsmouth or Southampton, otherwise for me it's well over 3 hours on a train one way. PLUS I wouldn't be able to get into London until 7am at the earliest.
  • EFF DAT.
  • Damotrain :

Damo
  • Car pools then.

Graham - could get two people in the car - Dan, Tom? *needs to buy car rack first
  • I think the key questions are how early do people want to leave in the morning and when do people need to be back home. The days will be long at the end of May so we'll have plenty of daylight to get round the island.

Here is a hypothetical timetable:

So the route is around 110km, so even if we take it easy it won't be any more than 4.5 to 5 hours riding time. If we leave ourselves an hour for lunch, an hour for faffing and contingency, then that's only 6.5 to 7 hours. 

There are regular crossings from Portsmouth to Fishbourne and vice versa (on each half hour) which take about 40 minutes. Cars need to check in at least 30 mins before departure, foot/cycle passengers need to check in 15 minutes beforehand.

So say we got the 9.00 ferry, those going by car would need to be there by 8.15 at the very latest, those going by train by 8.30. There are two possible trains to get from Clapham Junction, one leaving at 5.29 and arriving at 7.51 or one leaving at 6.22 and arriving at 8.12. I guess if you were driving you'd want to allow 90 mins to 2 hours beforehand (depending on where you are and how many people you are picking up), meaning you'd leave at something like 6.15.

Then we should be off the ferry and ready to ride by 10.00 after some faffing. We could then aim to get the 17.00 ferry back, which would mean we'd need to get back to the terminal by around 16.15 at the latest. This would give us 6.25 hours for riding, lunch and faffing.

The ferry would get back into Portsmouth at about 17.40 meaning if you are driving you might be home by around 19.00 to 19.30 depending on where you live on London and what the traffic is like. There is a 17.59 train that gets into Clapham Junction at 20.12. 

Personally, I'd be happy to leave London a little later to get home a bit later, to avoid such an early start. 

But either way, I'd be happy to get the train if only because it means train (and ferry) beers!

And I could also snooze on the train on the way down...

• The damotrain went at 06:32 in 2010 (2010!) arrived in Portsmouth at 09:29.

Jason's chain was very dirty.
  • damo said:

The damotrain went at 06:32 in 2010 (2010!) arrived in Portsmouth at 09:29.

Jason's chain was very dirty.

Stupid question. Do you mean you cycled down to Portsmouth? [Apologies, perhaps I should know what the damotrain is!]
  • We cycled to Victoria/Clapham, I think, and got the train. I'm pretty sure I've done it twice, but I can't have. Because Miriam was born the year after. 

(Tika christened it the damotrain)
  • Go early get back late !
  • I think, from reading the fixie forum thread, that we may have got in to London around 8ish.
  • Don't really fancy getting the train at 5.29am.

Happy to leave a bit later and get home a bit later. 

Need to check what times we can take our bikes on the train as it is a friday so will probably be rush hour exclusions. Just looked on Southern Trains site but it is not overly clear.
  • Go late. Have some seafood and beers in Cowes. Skip the ride. Come home whenever.
  • Pretty certain there are no restrictions on bikes leaving London in the morning, only arriving.
  • I'm up for this... now the decisions have been made!

List

Denny
    Jaygee
    DanDan
    Will
    Graham
    Sam
    Ved
    dommy
  • bants gauge now off the scale... 
  • I am gonna ruin all this fun by coming along as well.  
  • I'll put in an application.
  • i am very tempted - will pencil it in calendar and confirm nearer the time
  • Really looking forward to this.
  • Me too!

Will start looking into ferries etc a bit more in a couple of weeks when work is less crazy.

I'm also planning a midweek ride to Rye towards the end of April if anyone's game. I will set up another post about this.
  • Just booked it off work, I'm in.

List

Denny
    Jaygee
    DanDan
    Will
    Graham
    Sam
    Ved
    dommy
    Nath
  • Excellent stuff!
  • It's almost April and therefore almost May!  Whooop!!

List

Denny
    Jaygee
    DanDan
    Will
    Graham
    Sam
    Ved
    dommy
    Nath
    Sam J
  • Booked off!!!!!
  • Did we ever decide how we are going to get there?
  • Just did a bit of research.

Quickest ferry is 20 minutes from Portsmouth Harbour to Ryde. 
    About £16 each return.
    2 an hour at about 15 past and 40 past.

Train from Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour is direct and takes 1 hour 37 mins.
    £38 for a peak hour open return if we bulk purchase
    Leaves on the hour and half past the hour.

Southwest Trains say we can take bikes on the train during peak hours on this route but cannot guarantee we will get on due to it being a bit busy. Staff also have the right to refuse us entry to the train. Bastards.

• dandan said:

£38 for a peak hour open return if we bulk purchase

£38 is regular anytime price, no discounts on that sucker.

If we went off-peak we could put up to 9 people on a group save, which gives you a 1/3 off so that would be about £24 each. First OP train not till 0900 though

I've got a Gold Card so would get 1/3 off anyway if the full 10 turn up.

• OK so if we get the 9am groupsave train we could be on the island by 11:30 latest I reckon.

Looks to be about 100km with 1000m climbing if we go round the outside. So anywhere from 4-6 hours riding allowing for faffing, p**ctures, getting lost, lunch etc.

Could be in the pub by 5:30.

• Returning into London at what? 10?
  • Sounds good.

Cans for the train and pub back in town?
  • Train beers!
  • Both ways?
  • Too early on the way out. Even for me.
  • You've changed ;-)
  • 9am train beers? 

Punchy... 
  • It's beer'o'clock somewhere in the world.
  • Alright Jimmy Buffett.
  • Bump. Do we need to buy any tickets ahead of time, or just rock up?
  • Thanks for the bump. 

We need to (a) phone up the ferry company and ask them whether we need to book in advance, and (b) look into group save tickets for the train. 

I've been meaning to look into this all for a while but I've super busy at work. If anyone else has time please do look into it. Otherwise I should have a quieter week next week.
  • Are there still 11 Grumps up for this?:

Denny
    Jaygee
    DanDan
    Will
    Graham
    Sam
    Ved
    dommy
    Nath
    Sam J
  • can you take bikes on the fast sea-cat thing? i don't remember seeing any provision for that when i went at easter?

• OK, so I've already done some homework. 

9.00 London Waterloo train arrives into Portsmouth Harbour at 10.33. If we book now an advance ticket now, it costs just £9. http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/WAT/PMH/200516/0900/dep/200516/1800/dep. We'd need to book tickets individually.

The next available ferry would be 11.15 from Portsmouth Harbour to Ryde. 22 minute crossing. 

Assuming 6 hours of riding and faff time, we could get the 17.47 ferry back.

18.45 Portsmouth Harbour to London Waterloo. Again, just £9 if we book now (see link above).

Phoning the ferry company now to find out whether we need to book and if they do group bookings.
  • Right, we don't need to book in advance for the ferry (same price advance or on-the-day). 

If there are 10 or more of us then we will automatically get a group discount (whether we pay on the day or advance). A group of 10 would pay £164 or £16.40 per person. 

On the phone they said there is no limit on group size. They have capacity for 260+ foot passengers so they said there wouldn't be a space issue, even with our bikes.

So I think we just pay on the day, which makes these easier if trains are delayed etc.

Foot passengers: We recommend you book in advance to secure your place, but there is no difference in price if you buy your ticket on the day (please allow yourself enough time to purchase your tickets before travelling).

Cyclists: Advance reservations for bicycles are not required and these are carried on all services, space permitting, free of charge.

• Thanks Denny. 

Is there any limit on bikes on either of those trains? 

Assuming not as they are going against the rush hour flow but you never know.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!