This forum is now read only. Please read the new forum post below and then visit http://csgrupetto.microco.sm for the new forum or visit the club website at www.csgrupetto.co.uk
Hello! This is the forum for members of CS Grupetto. The main content of the forum is only available to CS Grupetto members. Ride info is public and if you'd like to join us on a ride just drop us an email through our contact page at www.grupetto.co.uk
Isle of Wight Day Trip // 20th MAY 2016
  • Nice one Dan.  We are chilling on this ride, so you can plenty spin.
  • Work is looking ok I think, and body seems ok, so I'm probably in too (but will confirm tomorrow).

I'll be taking it easy too so we can coast along at the back, or do a short-cut to go straight to the pub :)
  • Shall we all meet at 9.30am at Clapham Junction then? Was booking bikes on necessary?
  • The trains are a bit of an arse when combined with the ferry times.

09:52 from CJ gets us to PH at 11:33 and the next ferry is at 12:15.
    10:12 from CJ gets us to PH at 12:03 which does not leave much time to get the ferry (but if we booked in advance it could work - it's not far to the ferry)

Light lunch, smash Island, big lunch and many beers, train beers late arvo/early evening?

• The options from Waterloo are similar.
  • how long will the ride take?
  • Less than it's been talked about?
  • We won't make the 12:15 if we arrive in Portsmouth at 12:03 as we have to be there 15 minutes before departure.

Best options seem to be either the 08:52 or 09:52 from CJ to Portsmouth harbout

They arrive at 10:33 or 11:33 which give us about 30 minutes to tit around and get to the ferry in time for check in.

Ferry to Ryde departs at 11:15 or 12:15 and arrive at either 11:40 or 12:40

Ride is about 110km / 1200m climbing so say 6-7 hours with feeding and faffing and beering

Return ferries are twice an hour so we could aim for the 18:47 or 19:15 or 19:47 depending on the beers.

Plenty of trains back to CJ so I guess open returns make the most sense.

Bring lights as it will be dark when we get back to London.
  • 08:52 is prime time, so not an option for the off peak return
  • 09:52 it is then.
  • So meet 9.30am at Clapham Junction?
  • Work seems to be lurching unpredictably between states of ok-ness and disaster, and it's looking less likely at the moment :( For now it's probably easiest to assume I won't join you but I'll post up if that changes...
  • Oh Will, that is a shame.  Fingers crossed.

• NathC said:

So meet 9.30am at Clapham Junction?

Whooop!
  • Ho ho.  Now the next debate, which way to go round?!
  • Looking at that wind forecast, clockwise.

Tailwind on the way home FTW
  • I'd be tempted to go anti-clockwise...

So, endure the headwind from the start out to The Needles, then get a push of some sort most of the way along the lengthy exposed Lower Cretaceous southern part (including on the bigger hills), and then get a cross wind from Bembridge back to Cowes (hopefully on the more sheltered Oligocene side of the island).

That last section could probably be straightened up a bit too as it looks pretty wiggly.
  • Actually, here are some other route ideas (which may be better quality than the Strava route).

• Very jealous of you all, hope you have a great day, whichever route you take!
  • The 100km avoiding gravel?
  • Yeah let's avoid gravel. Don't want to spend all day fixing flats!
  • I think you are mad doing the military road stretch on the south of the island, some real nice roads just inland.
  • Yeah, but inland you don't get to ride past the dinosaur farm.
  • Or the pearl visitor centre and cafe.
  • Mmmmm, dinosaurs
  • I've never been there tbh so happy to leave it to the locals.

Graham which is the bestest way?

• How am I now a IOW local, I have only ever been once and that was this year...

Clockwise looked good.
  • Smiffy said:

I think you are mad doing the military road stretch on the south of the island, some real nice roads just inland.

This is the IOW.  Never go inland.  The Island has eyes.
  • will said:

I'd be tempted to go anti-clockwise...

So, endure the headwind from the start out to The Needles, then get a push of some sort most of the way along the lengthy exposed Lower Cretaceous southern part (including on the bigger hills), and then get a cross wind from Bembridge back to Cowes (hopefully on the more sheltered Oligocene side of the island).

That last section could probably be straightened up a bit too as it looks pretty wiggly.

Not sure where he gets all the fancy words from, but he has a point.  We can check and decide nearer the time, on train/ferry.

• I'd also say clockwise but we can hold a democratic vote on the train
  • I know a great ice cream stop and some nice places in Ventnor 
  • Do the Randonee route clockwise. it's great.
  • I just put THIS together - round the outside clockwise and avoiding the Military Road. From what I recall the military road does get a lot of high speed twats.

Happy to edit though if anyone has any thoughts.

I can also export it as anti clockwise so we have both available.
  • i would drop down to the military road at Brook and then on to freshwater bay, i did the inland road (‘the middle road’)back from the needles as Eva didn’t want to do the 3 rolling lumps on our return leg and it was slightly flatter but it was a faster road traffic wise and not a road i wanted to hang around on. that section of the military road has great views and though a main road it seemed less nutty than the inland one probably because locals use that and tourists stick to the coast road. 

depending on how peoples legs feel the chale green/shorwell route avoiding the biggest steepest climb at Blackgang is some of the nicest rolling quiet roads with fresh tarmac in places. might be an idea to have it in your garmin if people get ‘tired an emotional’ i certainly didn’t fancy Blackgang on a brompton.

wish i could join you but have other plans, would like to cycle on the island again.
  • Thanks Gary, ill make an update to avoid nutty locals.
  • YOU HAVE TO DO BLACKGANG. 
    It's ace.
  • Yeah, Freshwater Bay is a nice spot, so worth heading down that way.
  • Still doing blackgang, just tweaking the military road bit.
  • Wave as you pass Whitecliff Bay Holiday Park, I spent many a holiday there as a lad :0)
  • i took some grim pics at Brightstone holiday park (see my instagram) 
    they looked like a set from an prostitution/incest/80’s crime drama.
  • Black gang is piece of piss
  • not on a 2speed brompton or a 10kg hired nodder shopper!
  • Ved said:

Black gang is piece of piss

See you at the top of the hill.
  • *wheeze*
  • Grupetto KOM oppo
  • Ved said:

Black gang is piece of piss

PEW PEW PEW
  • So what route are we doing? Be good if we all have it in our Garminz.
  • 09:30 @ Clapham Junction for the 09:52 to Portsmouth harbour Via Woking
    1. Dommy
    2. Nath
    3. Sam J
    4. Ved
    5. Jason 

10:00 @ Woking Station for the 10:25 to Portsmouth Harbour
    1. Dandan
    2. Graham
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!